Friday, December 18, 2009

Haven on Earth

contributed by Annie Kile

One of my best friends in the world is my dog. Mac was named after a hamburger. Our neighbor found him as a few months old puppy eating out of an overflowing garbage can at Mac Donalds’s. We have never been able to definitively identify his breed(s). Our vet’s opinion was part Rottweiler, part German Shepherd, and we think maybe a little Hound Dog thrown in for good measure (judging by how his nose is always to the ground when we take him for his walks).

Mac, winking

That was eleven years ago and we can’t imagine life without Mac in our home and our hearts.

But there are millions of Mac’s out there – along with millions of homeless, hungry cats and other innocent animals guilty of nothing more than the fact that they exist.

I know I cannot save them all, but I was lucky enough to find a place where I could make a difference for many dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, and chickens who would otherwise be either struggling to find something, anything to eat and somewhere (anywhere) to shelter themselves from the elements. The idea that these animals are routinely “put down” simply because no one cares enough to actually provide care for them is just tragic.

The place I speak of is Desert Haven Animal Refuge right here in beautiful Williamsburg New Mexico. When I decided to volunteer, my main concern wasn’t whether I would like working “for” the animals, it was what would I do if I got there and the animals were not well cared for?

I need not have been concerned.

Animal care takes place twice a day. During this time animals are fed, fresh water is provided, pens are cleaned, and animals “get loved on”. The dogs are walked up
the hill twice a day and allowed to socialize and run free in a safe, large, fenced area. Our “kitties” are able to meet their “own personal needs” be it to visit with other cats or find “a spot of my own”. Every week each and every habitat is deep cleaned in addition to our “daily’s”.

And what can I say about the doves who laugh at me in the morning when I greet them? Believe me; this brings a smile to my face like nobody else can. And then there is Domino the rooster, so kind to wake me up each morning with his crow in order I’m there on time to feed him (and let me tell you his favorite treat is sliced cucumber!)

I am so pleased – and proud – to be a part of how Desert Haven Animal Refuge meets their mission. As I said, I know that I cannot save every animal abandoned and/or abused. But I can guarantee you that, for the animal that finds themselves safe, sound, and loved here at this refuge that Desert Haven truly is “Haven on Earth”.

-Annie Kile
Desert Haven Volunteer

No comments: