Monday, December 14, 2009

Beware of Certain Cat Litters


submitted by Adrianna O'Neill

Dear Eliana:

Recently my darling very healthy 11 year old indoor cat (who I've lived with since she was 4 weeks old) developed a sneeze and slight cough.
She has never been sick or had to go to the vet for anything other than her vaccinations.

I thought and thought about what was new and different in our home environment.
Finally it occurred to me. A week or so prior to her "cold" symptoms, I purchased liter that I thought was natural, not perfumed. The packaging said 'natural odor control' but it was not.
It had a perfumed odor and she smelled of that perfumed odor after using it.

I purchased new liter that very day and what a relief it was for both of us.
Within a day or so, she stopped sneezing and coughing, and I was able to breath better also.

A friend of mine recently told me about declawing her cat. The vet recommended a special liter as the cats paws were now more sensitive. Her cat has been using the special liter and has had no problems with it.

This is to say that sometimes the simplest solution is the right one. Using common sense to figure out the problems of our pets can save them from experiencing uncomfortable symptoms that can quickly escalate into trips to the vet.

Beware of certain litters as the dust and odors they create can be harmful to your cat and yourself.

Sincerely,
Adrianna O'Neill

No comments: