Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Letter from a Visitor/Volunteer


Volunteers Larry & Mavis work on "the Penthouse"

August 13, 2007

For the blog.
From Jim Minarchio


I live in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico – elevation 4200 ft., population 8,000. This small southwestern town, seemingly forgotten by Father Time, is located a couple of miles away from Desert Haven Animal Refuge, which I understand is the only No-Kill domestic animal sanctuary in this area.

Over the past couple of years, I have paid regular visits to the Refuge and it’s inhabitants, both human and non-human, and I am always really pleased to see the facility to be so clean and it’s animal population, mostly dogs and cats, to be so healthy and always in good spirits.

What I appreciate as well is the spirit of teamwork and of genuine friendship that everyone shares - from the founder of the small sanctuary, Eliana Aubin, to all the volunteers, either seasonal or long-term. When I share the Tuesday meal with them, I can feel the good vibes that come from the entire group – it feels great to be part of this strong and caring group.

It’s so refreshing for me to know that in these days of competitive minds and cut-throat attitudes, a small group of folks (who come from various walks in life and from all over the US) can work closely together as a team, for a common goal and without expecting any monetary reward. No one, even Eliana, receives any salary. From what I can witness, each one of these kind folks is making a difference in the lives of domestic animals down-on-their luck, and most certainly in his or her own life as well. I salute all of them.

If I were a dog or a cat, Desert Haven is where I would like to wake up, under the care of all the wonderful and selfless volunteers who work there.

Keep up the good work, people, you are appreciated.

Jim Minarchio
1201 Caballo Rd
T or C NM 87901

No comments: