Monday, July 9, 2007

Letter from a Desert Haven Supporter



We received permission to share this recent letter from a long-time supporter of The Sierra County Humane Society and Desert Haven Animal Refuge.

Thank you, Rick!

With so many instances of cruelty to defenseless, loving animals, it is without a doubt an uplifting experience to rely on Desert Haven Animal Refuge, a no-kill facility, as a secure and safe place where animals can find shelter, food, love and affection.

I have been following the progress at Desert Haven since the sanctuary became a reality, and I continue to be impressed with what has been accomplished, against all odds. A team of volunteers works tirelessly to ensure the safety and the well-being of all of the animal guests.

I have been fortunate to have been the recipient of non-judgmental affection on the part of two beautiful golden retrievers. They often look up at me with their brown eyes, waiting expectantly for a smile from me or a doggie biscuit. Pictorial images of abused dogs often broadcast on television flash through my mind as I gaze upon those two goldens. My eyes tear up as I picture them as victims of similar abuse. I am thankful for the existence of Desert Haven Animal Refuge, where succor is offered to other unfortunate victims.

Eliana Aubin’s work, and that of all the volunteers, at the DHAR is to be commended. They have dedicated their lives to the improvement of the lives of so many abandoned, abused and handicapped animals. They are indeed doing God’s work.

Rick Melpignano
Bellingham, MA

No comments: